FengOffice – Features at a Glance
FengOffice positions itself as a complete business solution aimed at improving an organization’s performance in terms of productivity, collaboration and team & project management. Originally established as an open source application, OpenGoo, and, as such, it has actually been developed into its current from by a vast number of independent developers across the globe, who have taken the time to build on the available open source code and then share their outputs back with the rest of the OpenGoo community.
All of these disparate development efforts are brought together to form FengOffice, offering the following key features:
- Workspaces: containers to represent distinct pieces of work, such as, projects, product development and allow the organization of all associated information and other objects
- Overview: the summary dashboard that shows the big picture across workspaces and is the first screen displayed after logging in
- Calendar: lets the user set up and edit events and activities on a timeline and gives a visual representation of the schedule of events and activities.
- Contacts: these can be either individual contacts or company contacts, in which case, they can have more than one individual associated.
- Notes: works like an online forum, allowing FengOffice users to communicate with each other in a separate window. Through the notes feature, user can, for example, subscribe to particular notes giving them notifications of new comments.
- Documents: FengOffice allows text-based documents and presentations to be created without leaving the application and a spreadsheet tool is now becoming available. Other types of documents and files can also be uploaded into a workspace, although documents that are not native to FengOffice must be downloaded by users to view and edit.
- Email: once configured for users, emails can be shared with other users of FengOffice and if sent to a shared workspace, any attachments are automatically stored as centrally available documents
- Task Management: FengOffice supports the creation and management of tasks and milestones, which are, essentially, to-do lists, where a milestone includes an alert when it is due.
- Links: lets the user save and bookmark important websites and lets them share links with other users. Links can also be attached to any objects in the workspace.
- Reports: offers the ability to produce customized reports based on workspace information, for example, all overdue milestones or maybe tasks allocated to a particular team.
FengOffice offers a video introduction, too. Unlike other online collaborative business solutions, FengOffice does require some local installation, and needs a webserver with MYSQL, but it works cross-platform and installation is relatively simple. Having originated as an Open Source product, FengOffice is easily extensible to add extra functionality for those with the skill and the know-how in PHP.
Pricing starts at $68 per month for their Plus Plan. The Pro plan comes in at $169 per month and the Premium at $299, with the difference centering around the number of allowed Executives (users who have access to all system features) and storage space. All pricing options come with a free trial and as this product is a little more technical than other competitors in the market, the trial is recommended.