Stairwell partitions might be difficult to improve since they include awkward angles, tall ceilings and are sometimes a heavy site visitors space (particularly in homes with youngsters). In our earlier home we added wainscoting and a gallery wall up the stairwell. This method is all the time lovely, however in our present fixer higher we needed to attempt one thing completely different.
Our adjoining kitchen wall (within the image) is at the moment a mirror gallery wall, so having two gallery partitions can be means too busy for this house.
So how do I improve a boring stairwell wall and add texture and coloration with out creating one other gallery wall?
Wallpaper, in fact!
Wallpaper has made an enormous comeback, and there are such a lot of lovely classic wallpaper patterns with a wide range of set up choices. After performing some analysis I lastly settled on a sample that I LOVE!
Some issues to know in regards to the stairwell wall challenge and “The Magnolia” wallpaper from Magnolia House:
- “The Magnolia” wallpaper is NOT peel and stick (it’s pre-pasted!)
- You activate the adhesive by spraying it with water
- No dipping the whole sheet, and no soggy paper. If we discovered a dry spot we merely sprayed that portion of the wallpaper or wall.
- We selected the sage inexperienced so as to add some coloration
- Working time: about 5-7 minutes after it’s positioned on the wall
- To increase the working time, we sprayed the wall if wanted
- Seams are just about invisible!
- Fashionable basic fashion that we love
- How excessive did we hold the wallpaper? On the high of the second ground hand rail. We don’t have a scaffolding – so lining it up with the handrail looks as if the pure line. We’ll high it off with a reasonably chair rail as soon as completed. Admittedly we’re nonetheless engaged on this (Covid hit me arduous) so as soon as I get my vitality again I’ll end the upstairs portion of the stairway makeover.
I’ve not tried peel-and-stick wallpaper (but!) however I’ll save that sort of challenge for one more room. It didn’t really feel like the appropriate utility in a busy stairway. I opted for a extra conventional wallpaper and pre-pasted appears a lot “sturdier” if that is smart.
The way to Set up Pre-Pasted Wallpaper
Pre-Pasted Wallpaper Provides
What provides do you want for pre-pasted wallpaper? Right here is our checklist:
- An L Sq.
- A pencil
- A big stage
- Utility knife with additional blades
- Spray Bottle with water
- Plastic to put wallpaper down and measure
- Rubber Curler
- Smoothing Squeegee
Wallpaper Set up
- Plumb Line: Utilizing a stage, create a vertical plumb line. If an exterior or inside nook is stage, many individuals select to begin there. In our case we selected the surface nook on the backside of our stairs and drew a line that was the precise width of our wallpaper.
- Minimize the Wallpaper: Utilizing an L sq. and a really sharp utility knife, reduce the wallpaper giving your self a number of inches additional on the high and backside.
- Activate the Adhesive: Flip the wallpaper over (adhesive aspect up) and spray the adhesive. I used my palms to unfold the water evenly over the again.
- Tip! Fold the paper from the underside up (no creases) making it simpler to to hold the wallpaper. Be ready to hold the wallpaper from the top-down. Don’t attempt to carry a particularly lengthy piece, evenly folding it this manner will make the challenge simpler.
- Apply Wallpaper to Wall: With the topside of the wallpaper in hand, affix the wallpaper on the high of your wall. Utilizing your plumb line because the information, gently permit the remainder of the paper to unfold to the ground, and align from the top-down along with your plumb line. Lengthen your working time by having the spray bottle helpful and spraying the wall if wanted. Use your palms to clean out any apparent bubbles. (This step took about 5 minutes for us).
- Squeegee to Take away Air Pockets: Across the 5 minute mark, glide your squeegee throughout the paper to take away any bubbles or extra adhesive. Guarantee your squeegee has no nicks or it may scratch or tear your paper. Do that together with Step 6.
- Use a Rubber Curler: This step completed your wallpaper utility. Roll the wallpaper to clean out any bubbles, bumps and to make sure your wallpaper edges are adhered to the wall. Do that together with Step 5.
- Minimize the Extra: Utilizing a metallic straight edge, we reduce the surplus utilizing very sharp utility knives. We modified the blades typically to make sure they didn’t drag and rip the moist paper.
- Measure & Minimize Your Subsequent Sheet: Now that your first sheet is up, measure the size on your subsequent sheet. Random patterns imply you possibly can merely measure and reduce your sheet since matching patterns shouldn’t be mandatory with this explicit wallpaper. This implies much less waste and is a lot simpler.
- NOTE ABOUT MATCHING PATTERNS: if you happen to desire your sample to line up (like ours) you will have to carry up your sheet and line up the patterns utilizing a stage. The small containers on this explicit sample line up throughout our wall. Extra waste is the outcome while you do that.
Wallpaper Removing: I do know many individuals dread eradicating wallpaper (eradicating wallpaper from drywall is far simpler than plaster partitions). I’ve accomplished this 3 occasions in 3 homes utilizing a bucket of water blended with Downy Material Softener together with a steam machine and a scraper. Extra on that in a future publish – (let’s not take into consideration that proper now!)
One other technique to improve your stairwell is to color railings. With the stair railing transformation, selecting the wallpaper turned a lot simpler. Portray stair railings which has made a enormous distinction our lobby aesthetic. I’ve lots of suggestions for portray banisters making this go a lot sooner (artist brushes, of us! No painters’ tape wanted!)
Store All Merchandise for Our Stairwell Wall Makeover
I’ll add some fairly pictures or small mirrors up the steps. However for now I’m protecting it fairly easy. We’re so proud of our stairwell wall makeover, however count on extra adjustments to this house and our upstairs touchdown. Keep tuned!